Friday, August 31, 2012

Five Full Days

Five days of intense organizing and decorating, and here I am. I wanted to wait to post what the classroom looked like when I was finally happy with it (I'm thrilled to have met the teacher next door to mine who didn't judge me for re-doing my word wall three times and my Nuu-Chah-Nulth number posters twice). Although the students wouldn't notice the difference, I would. I am so lucky to have so much support from the other teachers at haahuupayak. It is such a warm and comforting environment. Even last year's Gr. 5/6 teacher met with me for a full morning. The Gr. 1 teacher has been in every day that I have and it has been so wonderful to have such a great mentor to not only bounce ideas off of, but to also help me get a real sense of the students, the school, and the community. With a student population of 80, (K-6) I have a lot to catch up on quickly. Here are some photos of the classroom:

True.

 Where I have been hiding. So much space, and finally, so organized!

 Get it? shhh-arpeners? Compliments of Pintrest

 Highlight your name before you hand it in: Also from Pintrest

 Hearts read: "Expectations" We will be making our Code of Conduct as a class, but "Safety First" is one we will all have to agree on.
Absent files for absentee students: all notes and sheets go into a file to be worked on when the student returns or when guardians request it.
Fish tank:)
"Request-a-tune" bucket
"book sign-out" poster. Students will place their book index cards into an envelope on the board so I know that all students have a book to enjoy.
Classroom photo album throughout the years

 "Give me 5" Stop, Look, Listen, and inform others
Classroom Communication Clock: Teacher switches hand between instruction, group work, partner work, and individual work - because we all learn together, and individually.
Daily Schedule in a pocket chart - days of the week and months written in Nuu-Chah-Nulth

 I hope the students don't get bored of my puns.
Assessment pie chart: For, As, Of learning, what they mean and what they do.
Norma, I don't know what I would have done without the star boarder. The previous colours on these boards were "salmon" and "brown" (meant to be red and black)

 After days of digging, teacher planning cupboards are categorized.

Beautiful Classroom, View from teacher's desk 

View from students' desks: Classroom Library

 View from windows at the back of the classroom

Extensive Boards. Nuu-chah-Nulth display and word wall / Salsa words (to spice up our writing)
Behind these boards are hooks and cubbies for student packs and coats.

 1/3 of student desks, corner of teacher desk, looking at the library again

Boggle, because words are wonderful

I am counting down the days until I get to meet my fresh-faced wonderfuls. No finalized class list yet, there may be some grade-teacher shuffling next week. 

Until September 4th, I will be year planning (all year plans are due by September 30th). I am already contacting groups in Port Alberni for field trip potentials!

Looking to collaborate with a Grade 5/6 class via Skype? Let me know!

Ms. Doerksen

1 comments:

Christa said...

Rose!! That all came together so well! (And I definitely didn't see the 's-h-h-arpeners' sign. You explained it to me but I had no idea what you were talking about...)

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing! -Ms. D.